Thursday, August 26, 2010

I'm Totally Gonna Get Laid (Off)

The Deseret News is going through a "transition" soon. Unfortunately, it's been reported that 30%-60% of the paper's staff will be let go. Being the low man on the totem pole in my department (and, if I'm not mistaken, the entire newsroom), I'm not holding my breath.

I've come to terms with my all-but-impending loss. I absolutely love my job and the people who work with me. I've been given opportunities to write, to edit, to generally get my feet wet in all aspects of journalism. Maybe this is just my time to be getting out of the industry, though. At least I have another job I actually love, right?

Speaking of Hillcrest, I've been extremely busy working on labs that weren't ready for the school year, training the new district tech guy and smoothing over issues teachers are having with their tech business. Though I never imagined wanting to be a computer guy, I love what I do; and it has nothing to do with being into technology. Being able to be there for people who really need my services is pretty rewarding. Their gratitude is equally appreciated. Now, if only HJH could pay me about $18 an hour ...

May the Force be with you.

No comments:

Post a Comment